19 July 2011

Gym: 18 July

I am trying to go to the gym under the library during lunch--it's outside my office and right down the stairs, so there's no real reason why I can't go regularly. I have gone a few times, but I'm turning it into a regular habit and will hopefully follow through if I engage myself by posting those workouts here.

The first log is from yesterday, 11:55 AM to 12:45 PM.

I cycled for 5 minutes on the stationary bike to warm up before starting a kind of random-hill-type activity for 33 minutes. I am still figuring out how to use the bike--it's not as fancy as the preset-activity ones I'm familiar with. I have found it difficult to build up to even this length of time on the stationary bike. I have been on it about three or four times in the past two weeks, and each time has been easier, but I feel like I'm slogging, not pumping along as I had been before.

The following numbers do not include the 5 minute warm-up session.

Average speed: 18.4 miles per hour
Average heart rate: 145 beats per minute
Heart rate high: 171 beats per minute

I stretched my legs for about 3 minutes, focusing on my hamstring, mostly, which is tight as all get out anyway.

Then I worked on the lat pulldown machine--2 sets of 12 and 10 reps, both at 50 kilograms (about 110 pounds). I had been doing 2 sets of 15 reps at about 100 pounds back in DC, so I'm satisfied with this.

I did 1 set with 10 reps of plank walks. Kind of like this video I found, but I don't use the inertia of my swinging lower body to help me in the motion.

I did 10 reps on each side of side-rotating weight things (video) that my DC personal trainer Hanna taught me. The weight was 8 kilograms (about 17.6 pounds)--the other option was only 4 kilograms, and that just seemed too little to me. I think I had built up to 15 pounds when my personal trainer made me do these, but I also did more than one set (Sometimes. I think.).

I then attempted a hollow hold, which lasted for 15 seconds. Then I did 15 crunches, followed by demotivation and a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment